Trees | by Mackenzie Rae

I know where you are
Hidden in the trees
That’s where we lost our love
In between the rocks
Somewhere far beneath
No matter how deep I go
I cannot find it



The cold stings my cheeks. I call out for you into the silence of the evening. The trees respond but I know where you are, high above, looking down at me. I call again, knowing that I should quit. Knowing that I could never reach you.
The air prickles my skin as I move toward the edge, just beyond the forest. The ground crunches like broken shards of glass beneath my boots. I now imitate what you are: silent.
I look, stretching my sight. Maybe I could get above the trees. My strained eyes gaze over the gorge, fixating themselves on the forest opposite of me.
There, I see you. A white gown flowing in the breeze. A rumble emerges from the dark clouds- a way for you to communicate without moving your lips. Sometimes silence speaks louder than words.
I stare at you, hoping my presence will ignite a spark, turning the gown of white into a vibrant shade of orange.
Nothing.
I fall to my knees.
My throat burns.
Answer me
Answer me
Answer me
When I look up, tears streaking my face. Your figure- vanishing with the wind and into the leaves.


Welcome to Ravenquill Press

Follow Mackenzie

Comments

  1. YES, Kenzie. I'm in love with this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AWWWWW, thank you so much, Felicia! <3

      xx Kenzie

      Delete
  2. Oh my goodness, this is so beautiful and haunting. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I still just love how Romantic Era-esque this is <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still cannot get over that compliment- **thank you**. <3

      xx Kenzie

      Delete


  4. Love this.This sounds interesting..Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment